Monday, April 8, 2013

Choose To Radiate Light!!

Family dear,
 
How is everything going?
 
Things in Texas have been so wonderful. I still am just overwhelmed with gratitude to be out here and to serve as a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints! How did y'all like conference? It was amazing wasn't it? It's really neat to watch it as a missionary because you receive revelation not only for yourself but for the people you teach. There were so many talks that brought the people we are teaching into my mind and I knew that talk was for them. I just hope they all watched and listened!! :)
 
This week was full of wonderful things!
 
Monday I had the most incredible experience of my mission thus far, and it actually was with a recent convert in the singles ward. Because we're over the singles ward we usually go to the FHE they have every Monday night. Sometimes they will bring their non-member friends but Monday it was all members. I can't remember if I've told you about Roberto yet, but he is awesome! I think he joined the church almost a year ago. He asked if he could speak with us after FHE privately so we knew something was up.
 
As we sat and talked to Him he told us that the day before (Easter) he had some time to himself and he felt really empty and uneasy. He said it was as if he were depressed, that he felt dark and cold. Talking to him further he told us that there were things about the church that he still questioned. When we asked him why he joined the church he talked about how he loved how close the ward is, and how the Church is like a loving community of people. When we talked to him about his faith he said he had some doubts about the church still. He said that it concerned him when he heard people say they "know" something about the church. He doesn't really trust that people can truly "know".
This was definitely surprising to me and Sister Jones and we weren't sure what to say.
I sat for a minute and thought.
 
I remember saying a prayer in my heart that me and Sister Jones would know what to say to him, that we could talk to him as the Savior would talk to him.
 
Then words started flowing out of my mouth! (miracle!)
 
I first thought of one of my very favorite scriptures in 1 Nephi. It's Nephi 11:17 and it says, "I know that he loveth his children; nevertheless, I do not know all things." Next to that verse in my scriptures i have a quote by Niel L. Maxwell that says, "We do not know the meaning of all things, but we know God loves us, and that is sufficient to get us by and through anything." I shared that with him and i explained how even Nephi didn't know and understand everything, but he knew that God loved him, and that was enough.
 
Then a question popped into my head so I asked him if he believed that Jesus Christ was a perfect being (I didn't know why i asked him that but that's what came). He looked very surprised but he answered "yes." So then I asked - then can you say you "know" Christ is a perfect being? Looking even more surprised he thought about that for a minute and said "Yes i can." Then I asked him if he believes that Christ is the Son of God, and that God is our loving Heavenly Father. He replied with a "yes" and I proceeded to ask him if he could then say that he "knows" that Christ is the Son of God, and that God is our Heavenly Father. He thought for a minute again and answered "yes." The last question i asked him was if the believed that Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ were aware of him, and if he believed that they can reveal the truth to him. He said "yes", So then of course I asked if he could say he "knows" it. He said "Yes." It was amazing. I could feel the power of the spirit working through me. I think it surprised him to realize that he does know those things.
 
We left him with a prayer, and told him he should go the the temple with the singles ward the next evening and pray. When we talked to him later on after the temple (where he did go and he did pray) he said he felt peace.
 
It's amazing how the spirit provides us with the words that the people we are teaching need to hear. I know that the questions I asked and the scripture I shared didn't come from me, but from the spirit. It was amazing!
 
Tuesday was a wonderful day full of miracles as well. I was looking forward to going to the temple with Symantha for her first time, but we got a call from Sister Byron (Sister Jones old companion who taught Symantha with her) saying that she felt she needed to be there with Symantha, and she asked if we could do an exchange. I was sort of sad, but I trusted Sister Byrons feelings, and I knew there would be a reason that the Lord needed me to be with sister Faasalafa (Sister Byrons companion), and I knew it would be a more meaningful experience for Symanthat is Sister Byron could be there.
 
So that evening we made the trade and I got to be companions with Sister Faasalafa for the night! She is amazing! She is from Samoa and she has been out almost her full 18 months, this will her last transfer. If there is one strength that Sister Faasalafa has (and trust me there are many) it is following the Spirit!
 
When we first got started no one was home at the doors we knocked. We went from door to door, no answer. Then we got back in the car (I got to drive by the way, I was really scared, but it was easier than I thought it would be) and Sister Faasalafa said we should say a prayer to know where the Lord needed us to be. We did so and then she felt prompted to go see Sister Hudson. After her impression we said another prayer to confirm her impressions. Then we drove to Sister Hudson's. Luckily she was home and we had a great meeting with her. We decided before hand to share the first vision with her. After we shared it we asked her what she felt. She look very surprised, and told us it was crazy that we chose to talk to her about that particular subject because if there is one thing she struggles to believe right now it is whether Joseph really truly was a prophet. She has heard a lot of anti- Mormon things about Joseph Smith being a con man etc. and wasn't sure what to think. So we talked to her more about Joseph Smith and encouraged her to learn more about his life through revelation given from his own writings, and the writings of the Church. We encouraged her to watch General Conference, and we left her with a prayer to know the truth about Joseph Smith.
 
Then we went to knock doors for power hour, It was so much fun! 3 People allowed us to pray with them. It was amazing! We were able to give out a Book of Mormon to one of them, and we got the info of another so we could come back! One of the coolest things happened with an older man that allowed us to pray with him. When we asked him what he would like us to pray for one of the things he said was rain. So of course as part of our prayer we asked for rain. And believe it our not that night the Heavens literally opened in Texas! It poured like crazy, and there was so much thunder. I could help but imagine that it was an answer to the prayer, and hopefully that man realized it! :)
 
To cap off the night with Sister Faasalafa we went to teach her new investigator the first lesson. Her name is Amy and she has 2 cute daughters. They don't have a lot which is hard to see, but they love each other. Her daughters kept drawing me pictures which reminded me of Emma and Brooklynn (oh how i miss them!). The lesson was amazing. Before we went in her home Sister Faasalafa told me she wanted me to ask Amy to be baptized (I was quite mortified but I accepted). The lesson went well and afterwards I asked her if she would be baptized when she knew it was true. She agreed! WOW! It was amazing! I talked to Sister Faasalafa today and she said they talked to Amy yesterday and they were able to set a baptism date with her!!! She's getting baptized in May! I learned so much from Sister Faasalafa in the short time I got to spend with her and I am so grateful i got that opportunity!
 
On Wednesday we got to go to the Temple to do a session as a zone. It is beautiful! It was so wonderful to be in the Temple again! After the temple we moved into our new apartment. It is beautiful, a great blessing! I don't really feel as though we deserve such a beautiful place, but I will take what the Lord will give me!
 
Then came the difficult part of the week. I won't go into detail but we met with Symantha and found out that she had done something not very good the day before she went to the temple for baptisms. We were at a loss as to what to say to her. She felt very sorry for it, but she didn't want to talk to the Bishop about it because she is afraid that the Bishop will take away her recommend. We talked to her about it more and explained the best we could why it was important for her to go see the bishop. We showed her as much love as we could, we told her we weren't mad at her, and that there is always a way back. We wanted her to know there's always hope. She agreed it was the best choice, and said she would pray about it. We're hoping to set up an appointment for them to meet this week. We made sure she knew that we were with her every step of the way. Even though it was hard to hear, i felt peace because I knew that she truly felt sorry and wanted to make it right. I couldn't be upset because I know that this is all so new for her and I can't expect her to be perfect. She's amazing.
 
My birthday was great! can't believe I'm 21! Thank you for the packages! and the flowers too! they were a lovely surprise!
 
We had another miracle on that day, we went to visit a referral (named Francis) we'd received that lives in the same apartment complex and an older woman in the ward (sister Herrin). Francis wasn't home so we left a note with our number and went to visit sister Herrin. Not long after Francis walked thought the door and we got to talking to her. She is an older woman as well and is just a dear! When she saw who we were she said she got the "tingles" because as she was driving home she was wondering if the Mormons had any girl missionaries and here we were! She said she would be happy to meet with us! I can't wait to see her!
 
Saturday we got to watch conference at the church! It was so great because I was watching and then all the sudden they are talking about BYU singers for the session and I'm like - that has to be Britton! I was looking for her and lo and behold there she was!!!!!!! I was so happy to see her lovely face! It also made me realize how much I miss her. I felt so proud, I was telling all the missionaries around me that "That's my cousin!" ...that's right, no big deal, my cousin is an amazing singer and she gets to sing to the prophet!! :)
 
Good job Britton! You were amazing, also you probably sang at the Saviors birth!
 
As you already know we got to watch conference with the Thayer's on Sunday, and can I just say they are the greatest! 
 
This week has been incredible and I am so grateful to be a missionary! The church is true!
 
One of my favorite parts of conference was when Elder Scott said, "Satan is no match for the savior, stay on the Lord's side and you will win EVERY time!"
 
Love you all!
 
Love, Sister Gregson

PS The new address:

Sister Emilee Gregson
14651 Philippine St. #9307
Houston, Texas 77040
 
 
Happy Birthday Sister Gregson!!
 
Me with all the goodies y'all gave me for my birthday!

Watching Conference with the Thayer fam

 Sister Jones and me

Conference watching

This picture I have to explain... So as you know on Sunday we went to the Thayers for General Conference. The Thayers have 4 kids the oldest on is on a mission so right now they have 3 at home - Heather (16), Mackaslyn (15), and Spencer (10). So in between conference Spencer asked me if I would like some Ramen Noodles. It was so sweet I couldn't say no. Next thing know he comes in with this giant bowl of top ramen with loads of water in it! It was so funny! I almost died from laughter! He is the coolest kid ever!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment