Monday, April 1, 2013

Happy Easter Y'all

Hey y'all!
 
Happy Easter! Thanks for the Easter package mum, it was much appreciated! The Shillers (the members we're living with currently) were kind enough to make a giant Easter basket for me and Sister Jones so it felt a little like Easter at home! The Thayers were kind enough to have us over for Easter dinner and it was delicious but I knew you guys were probably eating funeral potatoes at home and boy do i miss those!
 
Let me tell you, I have eaten so much meat since being here... I think I have eaten more meat in the last 3 weeks than I have in all my years combined. The people of Texas love their meat!
Can you believe I've been out for a month! I know I can't! 17 months left and the first one went by so fast!
 
This week has been slower, but there have been some wonderful moments that make up for the slow days.
 
Like I said in my last email we had dinner with Jamie and Sister Ruhlman. Both are so great! We're going to visit both of them again this week. I've seen a change in both their countenances since we've started talking with them. It's amazing the things that can happen when we allow Christ into our lives more fully.
 
Sister Ruhlman is a dear as always! When we went to visit her this week we watched the Joseph Smith movie with her and she loved it. She had never seen it before, but she was very inspired. As you well know I love Joseph Smith and watching that movie again just strengthened my love for him and for those early saints. There is a part when he is sitting in Carthage Jail and Lymon says to him something along the lines of "how do we overcome our trials" and Joseph says, "We trust in God, and go on." I've tried to live that. Every time we get rejected, or the door remains unanswered I think "trust in God, and go on." There's always something to hope for. PS guess who came to church again!!! Sister Ruhlman! She has now been re-activated! I am so happy for her, and I know the Lord is so happy to have her back!
 
Symantha is doing really well! We weren't able to go the the temple this past week with her, but we're going with her tomorrow night! I can't wait! There are so many blessings in store for her and I can't wait to see the look of joy on her face as she enters the house of the Lord.
 
Marla is wonderful! This week we talked with her a lot about how she is doing. She said she has felt a difference in her life since the missionaries have started meeting with her and she really truly has a desire to know the truth. She said she didn't read the scriptures this last week so we talked to her about how the only way she can truly know the truth is if she reads the Book of Mormon. She expressed her desire to know, and we're hoping she was able to read. Even though she still hasn't gotten her answer yet I feel peace. I know that the Lord will reveal it to her when she is ready. The other night as me and Sister Jones were thinking about Marla we decided to fast for her. I keep having this thought that we should pray that she will receive the truth and be baptized by the end of April. So we have been, and I have full faith that if that is God's will and Marla keeps acting in faith that that will happen. She amazes me because she has so much patience, and she truly wants to know for herself if it is true. She has become a good friend and I love her so much.
 
We had a cool experience on Thursday, we were having yet another difficult day where no one was answering their doors, so we had an idea to call Norma. Norma is an elderly lady who is less-active. We have been trying to meet with her, but she has been very sick. So like I said we called her and she mentioned that she would like a priesthood blessing! So we called up Elder Fultz and Elder Sevelo and they met us at her home and gave her a beautiful blessing. Like I said when days get low the Lord always makes up for it somehow.
 
PS thank you Grandma and Grandpa Richards for the Birthday money, we used it to buy Norma and Pam some flowers and they were very grateful. The cool thing too is that on my first week Pam told us she didn't want to meet with the missionaries anymore so that's why we decided to buy her some flowers, write her a note, and leave it on her doorstep so she knew how much we loved her. Well that night after we left the flowers she texted us and wanted us to come back and see her. So Grandma and Grandpa you just helped Pam! Thank you so much! You're doing missionary work and you didn't even know it!
 
So Thanh.... we were supposed to teach her the first lesson on Thursday but she wasn't home! It was so heart wrenching! But we're not giving up on her that easy. We're hoping to visit her home again this week sometime.
 
Now let me tell you about Don, AKA the coolest man alive! Don is a less-active living in Houston, he grew up in Utah and it's been a long while since he's come to church. The amazing thing though is that his testimony is strong. He believes everything still, but he mentioned that he has become comfortable with not going to church. It's hard for him because he works crazy long hours all week and his only day off is Sunday so he chooses to go golfing instead of going to church. The funny thing too is that he asked us to get some tithing slips for him so he can pay his tithing! At least he's doing something right? :) We really tried to get him to come to church yesterday but he had to work, so we'll just have to try another week. He is awesome!
 
On Saturday a young girl in our ward named Rachel got baptized and her mom asked me earlier this week if I would speak at it. I was really nervous, but I got up there and just talked to Rachel all about how much God loves her, why we get baptized, and how proud her Heavenly Father is. It was a neat experience and I'm grateful that the Sandford family would let me be a part of Rachel's special day.
 
Despite the ups and downs this week altogether is was a wonderful week. There are miracles everywhere you just have to look for them. I know I just need to remember to "trust God, and go on" I know there are people out there that the Lord has prepared to hear His message and I know if we "go on" we will find them. I love this gospel so much. I love dedicating every second to studying and serving the Lord and His Church. People in Texas as amazing and to me are the definition of a loving people.
 
I hope all is well at home! I love you all so much and I am so grateful for everything you do for me!
This week we will be moving into our new apartment so I'll send you the address when i know what it is. I probably won't know until Wednesday which means you probably won't know until the end of the week.
 
Anyways, love ya! Keep on keeping on! Remember, go be that 5%! Find people to share your greatest joy with!!!
 
Love, Sister Gregson
 
Bayous! There are tons of Bayous in Houston! They have them probably every 15 blocks or so. They are quite lovely!

Me at a Bayou

Sister Jones and me at the Bayou
 
And some pretty pictures of Houston 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment