Monday, April 21, 2014

I'm Trying

3/17/14

Family Dear,
 
How are you?
 
This week in Texas has been great! We saw so many miracles and I learned SO much!
 
We had a great lesson with Rosa this week. Last time we met with her we taught her the beginning of the Plan of Salvation so this time we were planning on starting where we left off. We had Sister Howard there and she always invites such a wonderful spirit.
After we started with a prayer we followed up with how her praying was going. I'm sure I've told you this but one of the things Rosa loves about us is the way we pray. Last time we saw her we committed her to pray the way that we do. Well she tried it! She's been trying to pray that way which is totally foreign to her because she used to wrote and memorized prayers. She said it was difficult at times for her to think of what to say so we explained to her how prayer is just a conversation with God. She thought that was so neat.
Well like I said we were prepared to teach her the Plan of Salvation but if there's one thing you have to learn as a missionary that they tell you over and over again it's that we teach people not lessons. Often times you go into a lesson thinking you're going to teach one thing but then the tables turn and the investigator always needs something different. Well with Rosa she began to open us to us about her daughter. Recently her daughter (who is about 21) has been going through kind of a rebellious stage. She told Rosa that she is atheist and it has been really troubling to Rosa. Her daughter has also decided to go work over in Florida and Rosa is worried about the decisions and kind of friends she will make. It was amazing how the spirit took over and helped Sister Cecil, Sister Howard, and I to change our plans and share with Rosa what she needed in that moment. We talked a lot about prayer and her divine role as a mother. Because she is raising one of God's children she can ask God for help. He knows better than anyone what her daughters needs and He will help her know what to do and say. I was able to share Mikes story with her and how at one point all you could do for Mike mom was pray for him. I told her that I believed the reason so many miracles happened with Mike was because of the faithful prayers of his mother. That then led me to share with her the story of Alma and his prayers for his son. The Angel tells Alma the younger that it was because of the faithful prayers of his father that the angel came. She was very touched by both of those stories. Sister Howard too shared her experience with her son Jonny who served a mission is Mexico. There were many times where she feared for his life but because of prayer she always knew that the Lord would take care of him and keep him safe. I could see the wonder and amazement in Rosa's eyes as she saw the blessing that prayer was to each of us. I know that Rosa is a wonderful mother. I could feel how grateful Heavenly Father was to her and how proud He was of the way that she has raised her children. Rosa's daughter is visiting her this week so we encouraged her to pray and ask for help. We promised her if she would do this that the Lord would give her the words to say and the knowledge of how to help her daughter. Rosa wants us to meet her daughter before she leaves so hopefully we'll get a chance to talk to her.
 
We also had a chance to meet with our new investigator Mary. She is so wonderful. She loves Christ so much! The only problem is she likes to talk and we didn't really get a word in but we were able to sneak in a few precious truths about the gospel. We invited her to the Women's Conference and she was really excited about going to that so we'll see what happens. She told us one of these weeks she was going to show up to church and surprise us so I'm looking forward to that day if it comes. :)
 
We ended up not being able to meet with Shelly this week but I'm not giving up on that woman because she is the only person, the only one person (that wasn't a former investigator), that we've tracted into since I've been here that said we could come back and share more about our faith with her. Yesterday we decided to drop in and see if she was home. She's hard to catch because she has crazy work schedules but we caught her home! She invited us in and she didn't have much time so we couldn't stay but she said "could you give me the address to your church, I want to bring my daughters and come next week." I was more than happy to give her that address! We haven't even been able to sit down and have a discussion with this woman, she doesn't know a thing about our church but she wants to come "because" she said "y'all are just so sweet and kind every time I see you so I wanna be there." I hope and pray everything will work out so that she can come. I hope she will feel the spirit and desire to know more.
 
Another miracle happened a few days ago. We were out working (as opposed to what I don't know because we're always working) and it was another one of those days where no one we planned to see was home or available (or willing to answer the door) so we decided to do some contacting on a street. There were only a few families outside but we were able to talk to them. None of them said they would like to know more but they were all so nice to us and we had a good conversation with them. The thing I love about being a missionary at least for me is that you are sensitive to how prepared people are. That probably sounds confusing and its hard to describe but the best way I can think of it is to share one experience I had that morning with a family. We walked up to the father and he was out doing yard work. His two beautiful little girls were out playing and there were so excited to talk to us. Well we talked a little bit to the father about eternal families and he said he wasn't trying to ignore us or put us down but that he just didn't have time to learn more right now. I was sad he said no, but I could sense that he was someone who was close to being ready for the gospel. I could envision this family coming to church, getting baptized and eventually being sealed. All that just from a hand shake and a short conversation. I know it sounds just like wishful thinking but you literally feel that that is what will happen someday for this family in that moment and I know it's part of the calling.
 
Well that same morning I was really working on being receptive to the spirit and where we needed to go and I felt strongly that we needed to try this former investigator names Stephanie. We'd met her before and she had said that she would love for us to come by but she is really busy and never home when we go by. Then her daughter started having seizures and other health problems so we talked to her and decided it would be best if she just called us when things died down and she felt ready. Since that time we haven't gone back to see her but I felt impressed to stop by and just see how she and her daughter are doing. She was home and she let us in! We asked her how things were going and she opened up to us. She is really going through a lot right now and I can tell that she is so overwhelmed. We were able to share part of Thomas S. Monson's last conference talk "I Will not Leave you nor forsake you" and she broke down in tears. She said that with all she is going through she can't help but wonder sometimes "Where is God in all this" We bore testimony to her that God is aware of her and her circumstances. He won't leave her or forsake her and he hasn't. I know that. He loves her so much and he wants to help her. I hope we were able to provide her with some comfort that morning. We were able to say a prayer with her and I hope she could feel the spirit.
 
We haven't been able to meet with Velma, Dorisette, Maria, or Lawanda because of spring break (I thought I liked spring break and then I came on a mission and now I think it stinks because everyone is out of town and no one wants to meet... :) ) But we have stayed in contact with all of them and they are doing well.
 
We've been trying really hard to keep working even though it's been a tiring area and we aren't seeing as much immediate success as we want. I've been studying patience a lot lately and I know I certainly could use a bit more patience. This area has proven to be the refiners fire of my mission and its taught me a lot. It has really tested my integrity, and obedience. There have been many instances that have come up where I've been tempted with the option to give up or stay home or use less effort. I've had to make the decision whether or not I want to be a diligent disciple of Christ or a mediocre missionary. And I'll admit sometimes that latter option is tempting and truly is the easier route, I have fallen short and at times been less that I could be, but as a child of God who knows my purpose and carries a firm testimony of his gospel it's not in my cards to give up or have the excuse to slack in my work. That is not what the Lord sent me out here to do and I know it. As a missionary I've repented more now that I ever have in my life. I love this work so much and I don't want to fail the Lord. I want to complete all the work He has for me to do here. I'm trying. Everyday I fall short, but I'm trying. I heard a quote by Dallin H. Oaks this week that hit me powerfully he said, "When you're involved in the work of the Lord the power behind you is ALWAYS greater than the obstacles before you." 
 
I love you all so much and I am so grateful for your love and prayers I have felt them strengthen me!
 
The Kingdom of God or Nothing!
 
Love, Sister Gregson

So to explain these pictures one night when I was over at the Howards house we somehow got on the topic of how they had made fried turkey last thanksgiving. I mentioned that I had never had fried turkey and instantly Brother Howard decided that that was enough reason to make another fried turkey. So the other night the Howards had us over for dinner and made us a full on Thanksgiving meal fried turkey and all. Let me tell you, fried turkey is soooooooooo good. But still nothing compares with your stuffing mom.
These pictures are of that dinner and the second one is the Howard family aka the best family in Tomball!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment