Monday, April 21, 2014

New Comp

3/31/14

Oh hey family!
 
How are y'all doing?
 
Things here are so wonderful!
I got my new companion! Her name is Sister Hardy, she's 19, from Fort Collins, Colorado, been out 6 months and an incredible missionary in every way! I was praying really hard that I would get a companion who wanted to work hard and would love the people and my prayers were answered. I can already tell that this is going to be a great companionship!
 
We saw so many miracles this week I don't even know where to begin!
First I'll tell you the greatest miracle of all! So you might remember that when I was serving in Bryan we were teaching Abby's friend Shelby and Shelby wanted to get baptized so badly. We set a date with her but her aunt would never give her permission to be baptized. Well after I left her aunt pretty much cut Shelby off from the church. Shelby still could hang out with Abby but she couldn't ever come to church or mutual activities and the sisters didn't get to meet with her anymore. Well even though I've been serving down here in Tomball I would still pray that Shelby would be able to get baptized in the Lord's time. Well on Tuesday morning I got a call from Sister Weaver informing me that Shelby's aunt finally gave her permission to be baptized and that the sisters would be meeting with her that night to set a date!!! So Shelby is getting baptized on April 12th!!!! I can't even tell you how happy this made me! Unfortunately I probably won't be able to go because Bryan is so far away from my area but I will definitely be there in spirit! I wish I could put into words what a miracle this is in my life and in Shelby's life. The minute I met Shelby even before we started teaching her the lessons I remember thinking "She's going to be a great missionary someday." She has been raised with such a difficult life and without this gospel her life could have a completely different outcome. I can't wait to see what she does with her life!
 
We also had a great miracle with Dorisette this week. Remember how I said that we were struggling during lessons trying to find a balance between teaching simply and answering Dorisettes deep questions. Well I had been praying all week that Dorisettes heart would be softened and she would accept the fact that there are answers in this life that we won't receive but that God has given us what we need. Normally she is not one to be content with that kind of answer so I was so nervous for our next lesson. Well I'll tell you what the Lord answers prayers. We explained to Dorisette that we wouldn't be able to answer her question because we simply didn't have the answer. We talked a lot about faith. Well Dorisette sat back in her chair and to my shock and relief simply said "Alright let's move on then." I was amazed at how humble she was in that moment. She is so amazing. The Lord really did soften her heart. After that we read 3 Nephi 11 and it brought the spirit into that lesson so strongly. We talked about how the spirit is a still small voice and she agreed that the only way to hear it is to put yourself in a quiet place and give yourself time with the Lord. We committed her this week to do just that - set aside a time to sit and ponder on the Book of Mormon, pray about it, and see what she feels in her heart. She promised that she would.
 
We also had a lesson with Rosa again. We talked about the Atonement and it really made an impression on her because she truly had no idea what the Atonement really is. One thing I've noticed since being on my mission is that no one really understands fully the Atonement. I've taught many people from many different religions and almost every person taught had never even heard the word Atonement. None of them have been taught that Christ suffered in the garden not only for our sins but for our pains and difficulties. They don't really understand (because they've never been taught) that in that garden Christ literally bled from every pore because her literally took upon him our pains and sins. Many of them focus on what Christ suffered on the cross but what many of them don't realize is that the pain of being crucified was much less in comparison to what he suffered in the garden. Well it was amazing to share this with Rosa. To help her to understand that what Christ suffered he suffered for her. She was touched but also intimidated. She realized that this gave her an added measure of responsibility in life. And I'm glad that she recognized that! Christ's suffering for our sins doesn't take away our responsibility to be the best we can, to repent, and to work everyday at becoming better. I'm glad she saw that. This week we've invited her to come to the Howard's home for Family Home Evening and I hope she will recognize the spirit there.
 
We had a lesson with Kaylee this week as well! She is doing well and has been coming to church regularly now. She wants to start reading the Book of Mormon from the very beginning again and this time she wants to finish it all the way through so we've set a goal with her to finish reading the Book of Mormon before her sister comes home from her mission in December. This week we asked the ward counsel to fast with us for Kaylee. We prayed that Kaylee's mother's heart would soften and she would allow Kaylee to be baptized, and not only that but that her mother would have a desire to know more about the gospel.
 
We also had a huge miracle with another one of our less-actives. Sister Cecil and I had been trying to get to see this woman ever since I've been here and she would always give us the run-around. Well Sister Hardy and I went by to see her and she opened the door and said "come on in" my jaw just about flew wide open. I couldn't believe it was that easy after all this time. We had a really great talk with her. She is struggling right now and feeling really lonely. She recognizes that the Lord has been urging her to come back to church and she has a spark of a desire to, it's just a matter of actually coming back. Hopefully we'll be able to meet with her more and help her.
 
Another miracle happened with the family of a former investigator! A few weeks back I was looking through our old records and this woman named Carolynn really stuck out to me so I knew we needed to visit her. That same day that I found her name we were having dinner with a member and this member asked if we had ever tried to visit this same exact woman. Apparently this member had gone with the missionaries to lessons with Carolynn years ago and she had been thinking about her. Carolynn was really close to baptism at the time the missionaries were meeting with her. Well the next day we went to the home and a family friend who was watching the house answered the door and informed us the Carolynn had passed away from cancer about a year ago but that her husband and teenage daughter still lived in that house. Ever since then we've been trying to meet with this family. I knew we needed to tell them that they would be able to see their wife and mother again someday. I felt that is wasn't just the spirit that prompted us to go there but that it was Carolynn herself that needed us to tell her family that she was waiting for them. We've been desperately knocking on their door for the past 5 weeks and finally this week we caught the husband home. We told him who we were and how missionaries used to meet with his wife. We told him he could see his wife again. We testified of eternal families and invited him to learn more. He said that we could come back and that he would love to hear our message! He is going to be out of town for a couple weeks but we're planning on meeting with him after that. I can't wait to share more with him!
 
There are so many other miracles that happened but I'll just share one more. We have a new investigator and her name is Robin! We're meeting with her this week and I'm really excited to work with her!
 
So many wonderful things are happening in this area! It is a testimony to me that the Lord has heard my prayers on behalf of these people and also that when we are patient and continue to work hard blessings do come. Both Sister Hardy and I feel strongly that good things are coming. There are people here that are prepared and we're ready to go out and keep trying to find them. This work is so wonderful! There are so many other things that have happened that I wish I had time to share but the most important thing to say is that the Lord answers prayers.
 
I love you all so much and I hope you have a great week!
 
The Kingdom of God or Nothing!
 
Love, Sister Gregson
 
One of my favorite Sisters- Sister Filikitonga
 

No comments:

Post a Comment