Tuesday, August 6, 2013

God Bless Texas...Oh Yeah, and the USA!

July 8, 2013

Hola Familia!
 
How was your 4th? I was thinking about how I was going to miss the Holiday fireworks this year but the great thing about Texas is that you don't need to even leave your front porch to see a full on firework show. Either the big fireworks aren't illegal here or everybody breaks the law (heck it's Texas so who cares I guess)! Our whole neighborhood was lit up until about 2 in the morning. It literally sounded like we were in a war zone all night! It was so fun. The entire horizon was full of fireworks!
 
It's been an incredible week for Sister Schellhous and I. We've really seen how the Lord keeps His promises. We had a meeting with President Pingree and he taught us all about the difference between man's ways and God's ways. In missionary work you set a lot of goals that seem pretty impossible, but he talked about how with the Lord nothing is impossible, if they are the goals set by the Lord they will be accomplished as long as we do our part. We've been really prayerful about our goal setting this week and we've seen this promise fulfilled. We've been trying to get outside of the car more so we'll park in one side of the area and walk to appointments or just around and contact the people we see on the street. One of our goals was to open our mouths and talk to EVERYONE that we saw and it was amazing how when we started doing that we met so many great people. We've gotten a lot of new investigators just by getting out of the car and walking and we feel so blessed. The Lord truly places people in our path when we do everything we can to find them.
 
One of our new investigators is Loushay. She is incredible! She is an 18 year old that we found while tracting and she is very wise and mature for her age. She has a great love for Jesus Christ and she loves him so much, she just lights up when she talks about how he has blessed her life. We are really looking forward to talking more with her about the gospel!
 
Our other new investigator is Darlene and she is awesome! It's amazing because we go in expecting to teach, but we come our learning just as much from them as we hope they learn from us. Darlene has been through a lot in her life and she recognized early on that even when everyone and everything around you fails you the Lord NEVER does. Everyday I'm amazed at how lucky I am to have the chance to meet these people. They open up so willingly and let us into their lives. Everyone goes through struggles in life and everyone needs the Lord. There are so many good people in Texas who love the Lord so much and I feel blessed to hear their testimonies as well as share mine.
I feel so lucky to be able to share my testimony with others every day. It feels so good. This gospel is so wonderful and i love it so much. I love being a missionary so much and I know I say that all the time but it seems like the longer I'm out here I love it more and more and I'm so grateful that the Lord has allowed me to do this work and to be here in Texas with such great missionaries and such a great mission president.
I can't even put it into words, It's just wonderful.
 
Now for an update on Joan...
When we went to visit her this past week she told us that she wanted to get baptized, but she wanted to be baptized in her church. She mentioned that the last time she went to her church it just felt like going home. Well Sister Schellhous and I were heartbroken. It was really neat though as we both sat there listening to her we both had the impression that instead of convincing her to change her mind we just needed to listen to her. As I sat there I wasn't sure what to say, but I remembered a quote from Elder Holland that I'd read in PMG that morning that says, "When we listen with love we won't need to wonder what to say." And so we sat and listened to her. It was amazing. She opened up to us more than she ever had before. After we had been there for a time i had the thought "well we're dropping Joan, what do we do now?" and Joan decided to show us some pictures of her husband and family who have passed on and I had the strongest impression that we needed to keep visiting her because her family needed us to. When I mentioned it to Sister Schellhous afterwards she had had the same feeling as we looked at the pictures of Joan and her husband. I think Joan was worried about telling us that she wanted to get baptized into her church because she really loves us coming and seeing her, but we told her we would still come and visit with her because we love her. She was worried that she would have to give us the BoM back but we told her of course she could keep it. I think in her heart she knows that it's true and I hope that someday she'll be ready to accept it.
 
There are so many other things that I wish I had time to say! We have been so truly blessed and I can't thank the Lord enough for every minute I get to be here.
 
I love you all and I hope you have a great day!
 
The Kingdom of God or nothing!
 
Love, Sister Gregson
 
 
This picture right here just goes to show you how great my zone is! :)
This was our July BBQ we got to play some ultimate frisbee so we all look kind of sweaty, but isn't it a sharp group? I love them so much!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment