Monday, January 13, 2014

A Gospel of Miracles

10/28/13

Family Dear!
 
How are you? I got your notes the other day and it was good to hear from all of you. I hope all is well at home!
 
This week has been an incredible one full of miracles. I realize I say that every week but the gospel of Jesus Christ truly is a gospel of miracles!
 
We were able to meet with Mary 3 times this week and she is incredible! She believes it's true already. Of course we still encouraged her to pray about it :) We taught her the first powerful lesson as well. What's amazing to me is that we teach the lessons so many times over and over again but each lesson for each person is always different. The spirit always knows what needs to be said specifically to each person. It is a testimony to me that Heavenly Father really does know each and every one of us individually. We have scheduled her baptism for Nov. 23rd!
Sister Davis is an incredible teacher. She teaches from the heart like a seasoned missionary. It's because of that that I know she is out her for the right reasons and that she has come very prepared. I'm so grateful to have the great opportunity to serve with her.
 
Erica's baptism has to be postponed because we haven't been able to meet with her lately. She is working a lot of hours to try and pay the bills and she's had to shut her phone off so that she can save up some money. It seems like whenever we find those extremely prepared children of God something happens to stop their progress, something keeps us from being able to meet with them. More and more I'm realizing that this really is a war with the adversary. He is a good fighter I'll give him that, but God will always be a better one. Even if Erica won't be able to meet with us again any time soon I know she's felt the spirit and I know someday she will accept it. I love being on the Lords side because I don't have to worry about failure. When we walk and fight with Him we cannot lose. 
 
Another miracle here in Bryan has to do with a referral we received the other day. We've gone to visit this referral twice now and they haven't been home but we know there's a reason we've been sent there and I'll tell you why. The first time we went to visit them they weren't home but there was a man sitting outside and we started talking to him. He asked "what church are you from" and we told him about the church. He then said "oh yeah I'm a member of that church" so of course we asked him more. Turns out he joined the church 3 years ago and had recently moved to Bryan. He didn't know where the church was so we were able to give him the address! The Lord really does know where all of his sheep are.
Then we went to visit this referral a second time and still they weren't there but on the way out there was another man outside we started talking to. He had alcohol in his hand and we could tell he was in bad shape. He asked us if we would pray for him. We started talking to him more and he told us what was going on. He is going through some really difficult things in his life right now and he's been pretty low. I knew as we stood there that we needed to give him a Book of Mormon and so we did. I know if he reads that book he will find the peace and joy he so desperately needs. When we handed it to him he said "well I am Baptist." You see the thing about Baptist churches in Texas is that they teach anti-Mormon classes so they are very cautious with us and are always very hesitant to even look at the Book of Mormon. But we told him it was a gift from us and that he would find the peace he needed from it. He thanked us and then told us that nothing happens by accident. He knew that God has sent us there to talk with him.
Whenever I have the chance to talk with these people it's as if I can see the savior standing there with his arm around them. They are so low and humbled and they need his love and care so badly. I see the Savior with everyone we talk to. He is there standing with them and he is so much closer to them than they know. Being on a mission has given me a small glimpse of seeing others as the Savior sees them, of loving others as the Savior loves them, and of caring for them as the Savior would care for them. It's like I've been given a new set of eyes to see through. I love it.
So I don't know what will come of this referral when we finally get to meet them but I know the Lord sent us there for a reason.
 
There are so many more wonderful things I could write about this week but I spare you and only make you read that much! :)
 
I love you all so much! The Savior is closer to you and more aware of you than you know!
 
Love, Sister Gregson
 
PS so funny story! This week we went to visit the Williams family and their 31-year old daughter Tocarra was there. After a while she asked where I was from and I told her Holladay. She then said "Ok I know some people from there! Do you know the Gregson's or the Knights?" I thought she was joking at first but then I realized she didn't know my last name was Gregson. Anyways turns out she was at LDSBC with Mike and Jeff! Then to make it even better she told me Mike dated the McConnell's daughter and the McConnells are one of my favorite families in the ward! I couldn't believe it! Their daughter is the one that got stuck in the window! I told them on Sunday and they got a good laugh out of it. Mike I hope you treated that girl well! :)
The best part is that Tocarra remembered Dad. She loves him so much even though she didn't know him really well. She talked about how funny and outgoing he was. What's neat about that is that I remember Mike telling his story from his mission about how a man that knew Dad started talking to him and told him how much he loved Dad. Well since day one of my mission I've been hoping that somewhere along the way I'd meet someone who knew and loved Dad and could tell me something more about him. Well Tocarra was the one! It was so fun to make that connection.

No comments:

Post a Comment