Monday, January 13, 2014

Happy December

12/2/13

Hola familia!
 
How are you? I hope you Thanksgiving was wonderful! We got not one but two thanksgiving meals so we were definitely stuffed to the brim but it was all so good. Of course nothing compares to your stuffing mom.
 
We've seen miracle after miracle this past week! I love being in a trio so much! There is so much power! I love Sister Funk and Sister Davis! We work hard, laugh hard, and do so well together! I love these girls like my own sisters and I'm so grateful that I get the chance to work with them. I really hope I get more than one transfer with these two.
 
I have some grate stories to share from this past week!
On Wednesday the AP's had to drop off Sister Funk's bed and when they left I shut and locked the door as usual. We always lock the door because our door is broken and doesn't stay shut if it's not locked. Now our door has two dead bolts and when I locked the top one it broke. So we were literally locked inside our apartment and couldn't get out! It was so frustrating because we had so much planned for that afternoon and here we were stuck in our apartment. Luckily we had the number for the main office so they said they would send the maintenance man over. We don't have any windows on our bottom floor so I ran upstairs to the window and luckily the AP's were still there so they tried to get the lock off the door but it wasn't budging. It was pretty embarrassing but it was so funny and we couldn't help but laugh.
If there's one thing I've learned as a missionary it's that everything happens for a reason so I knew God locked us in there for one reason or another so I was determined to talk to our maintenance man about the gospel. His name is Manuel and he had to climb over the fence and come through our back door to set us free. As he was fixing the lock I started to talk to him and he asked about the church. We were able to share a little with him and invite him to come to church! It was awesome! Now we see him everywhere! He is so cool and I hope one of these days he'll bring his family to church.
 
Then as if that wasn't enough the next day we got a flat tire! Welcome to the mission Sister Funk!
Despite these set backs though we had such a wonderful week!
 
On Monday we started teaching Shelby. She is Abby's friend from school and is also 12 years old! Isn't that awesome!? Abby has only been a member of the church for 2 months and she's already invited a friend to take the discussions! Shelby is so great! She has come to church 2 times already and she told us the other day that she read and prayed about the Book of Mormon and she believes it's true! It's been so amazing to serve here in Bryan because the majority of the people I've taught since being here have been under the age of 17. They're still rowdy rambunctious teenagers but when we start talking about the gospel with them it's amazing how calm and mature they can be in that moment. They know what we're sharing is important and it's amazing to see the look on their faces when they realize their divine heritage and what the Lord has in store for them. If there's one way to describe Shelby it would be enthusiastic. She gets so excited to learn about the gospel and she loves it so much. Before we started teaching her she would always make sure she was at Abby's house every Monday night because she knew we would be at their house teaching Abby a lesson. I feel that it is such a privilege to work with these youth who are searching for the truth. I can't describe what it means to me that the Lord has let me work with his young men and women to share the gospel with them. I can see already how valiant they will be in the gospel and what strength they will add to the church as they grow older and receive callings and marry in the temple. I honestly can't put into words how grateful I am for these amazing youth. All of them have had such difficult lives and to see the look of pure joy on their faces when they realize that there is someone who has felt their pain and loves them is priceless. Both of Shelby's parents struggle with addictions to drugs and because of that she lives with her Aunt. And yet she is such a happy young woman. She doesn't let it get her down. I think that's partly why the gospel already means so much to her. It is something she can find peace and comfort in. It's amazing to me how prepared for this gospel these youth are. I love them so much and I am so glad I have the chance to work with them now and to see how the gospel will play a part in the rest of their lives. I feel as though God is preparing a new and stronger army through these youth and I have the wonderful blessing of working with these future armies of Helaman!
 
Abby is doing so well. She invited Shelby to take the discussions and then at church on Sunday not only did she bring Shelby but she also invited a boy their age who lives next door. His name is Damon. Because we teach Shelby at Abby's house we have Abby help us out with the teaching. It is wonderful to watch her share the gospel with her friend. Abby is a great example to me.
 
There are so many wonderful things happening right now in Bryan and it's not just because we are being obedient missionaries but it's also because our ward are being obedient member missionaries and doing what the Lord has called them to do. Missionaries cannot do this work alone. It would be impossible. Members are essential.
 
Yesterday we had another chance to teach the Restoration. We get to teach the Restoration a lot but this time I felt the spirit so strongly. I hear this lesson time and time again and yet every time we share it with someone else there is something new that I learn. I'm so grateful for this gospel. It is so hard for me to put into words what it means to me and what being a missionary means to me. It is the greatest blessing of my life to be out here serving the Lord. I love my savior so much. There is nowhere else I'd rather be.
 
I love you all and hope you have some happy holidays!
 
What tracting in Bryan looks like
 
A scripture chart we made for Abby. She loves JB so that's why the lyrics are there
 
My new comps and me
 
Thanksgiving with the Lewis family

 

No comments:

Post a Comment